Saturday, October 01, 2005

How can it possibly be October?

Getting braces sucks. Getting braces sucks HARDCORE.
I'm back to liquids and very soft foods like mashed potatoes again.
I tried eating some very, very soft pizza yesterday because I thought I might be able to manage it.
I couldn't, I got through less than half of it. It hurt to much when I chewed because of the temporary spacers between my molars.
I have no energy because I have hardly been eating anything, besides nutrition shakes (which aren't very filling let me tell you). And mashed potatoes, or soup,or today I thought of squash. You get the idea. It's sad how happy I was to eat potatoes, squash, and ice cream today.
And I feel like crap.
Just when I was getting back to somewhere near normal again. I had recovered from the surgery enough I was eating many regular foods again. True, I had to have all of my food cut up in managable, small bite sized pieces (because I am missing three of the front teeth I usually bite with), but I was back to pretty regular food again. You know, chicken, carrots, pizza, fruit ect.
Now I'm back to where I started.
This whole experience is terrible. I know I will be very glad when I am done, and have beautiful straight teeth. But the whole getting there is horrible.
It hurt like a bitch getting them on. That was mostly the temporary spacers she shoved between my back teeth, to make room for the anchors for the wire that goes on next week.
But the brackets are no fun either. My mouth is getting rubbed raw. I have wax to put on them if they are rubbing certain spots, but I can't cover every single bracket with wax.
During the time I was recovering from the oral surgery my tongue was constantly going numb on and off. I thought that had finally stopped.
Then I went to the orthodontist and she pushed and poked and shoved and jammed everything around.
Now that recurring numbness has come back, seems the placement of the braces have reaggravated everything again.
I just keep telling myself it's all for my acting. When I feel like trying to pry these silly things off, I remind myself why I am doing it. Why I need to do it.
But it's been a really terrible week. I have missed too much school because I've been so weak and grotty feeling.
I don't mean to scare anyone who has yet to get braces. Granted I do have very sensitive teeth, and it depends on the person, everyone reacts differently. But it's been a very bad experience for me.
But I'm so tired of it all already, and this is only the beginning. This is going to be a very long, 2 years or more process. That really depresses me. Everyone keeps saying it will get better, it's hard to believe when I feel like this, but I really hope so.
The wire goes on Monday, apparently my teeth needed a week to move a little for the rest of the stuff they need to put on, or move, or whatever.
It's been a really trying month. A really painful month. I'll get it through it. I know I will. But it will certainly be a trial.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I did it for 2 1/2 years and you can do it too. Once you get used to everything (which takes no time), the only painful thing is getting your wires tightened.
Oh, and stay away form corn on the cob. It's a super bitch.

P.S. after your braces are gone, you can join the wire club. word.

-- JeN

Scarlett said...

Sweet I get to join a club? And as for the corn on the cob I'm not allowed to eat it...at least not while it's still on it's cob...man, remember the days when I used to be able to eat food? Those were good times...I miss them...