Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I miss my cousin. And I miss who he used to be. Before the drugs and alcohol started to control his life. Before he got addicted, and had to drink to excess. The person he was before his own mother said he can't be trusted with money. The person he was before a lot of the things I saw happen. I don't think my family (the older members aka parents ect) realize how much I know, how much I've seen. We are close in age, when he lived near by we used to hang out. I went to his parties, he came to mine. I saw what he drank and how much, and what he smoked. I saw what his friends drank and smoked. I never included myself in that, but I saw it all the same. I saw how he changed, and that he was becoming addicted. Or at least I do now, I don't know if I truly recognized that he was an addict when I was younger, but I knew he had a problem. I remember so clearly saying to my mother after one particular incident, that I didn't want to be around him when he was doing things like that. It made me uncomfortable, and it scared me. And I don't want to lose him, he is like my older brother, and it would break my heart. But he is 27 and I can't fix it for him, I can't change it for him. His parents can't change it for him, he has to do it. But I am scared that he never will, I am scared he will continue down this path of destruction until he does something stupid in an intoxicated state that kills him, or the drugs and alcohol just wear out his body. I am terrified of losing my cousin. I already lost one cousin years ago, I couldn't stand to lose another one. But I don't know what I can do....his family is not staging an intervention, they are trying to help him through it...I wish I had said to him years ago that I didn't want to be around him when he did things like that, instead of saying it to my mom. It might have done some good, or it might not have, it might just have alienated him further from me. I don't love him any less, but I am scared for him. He is not the same person he used to be because the addiction controls his life, controls him. I just hope that he will come out of it all okay.

No comments: