Friday, March 25, 2005

Jonathan Rucinski, a very kind man who I knew from Backwoods Players, passed away this morning. He finally lost the battle with cancer. Everyone knew he was sick, at the meeting Wednesday they said he was ill but happy to have visitors. He died on Good Friday, which I think is tragic but kind of symbolic too. Situations like this scare me, and make me feel helpless in a way. My Baba died from cancer when I was little, and the fact that a disease like cancer can strike down someone like Jonathan in the prime of his life is scary and so sad. It makes me want to do something, but I don't know what. I just don't feel like I can sit back and watch things like this continue to happen without even making an effort to help. I don't really know what I can do, but I want to do something. I'm tired of losing people, and sometimes there's nothing you can do to stop it. But there are other times that you can actively make an effort to forward the prevention, treatment, and cure of diseases. Because among other people, I lost both my grandfathers and great-uncle to diseases, and if there's something that I could do to possibly help prevent the loss of someone I care about in the future, it just makes sense to try and do it. My thoughts are with Jonathans family; but I'll always remember his friendliness and all his good qualities, particularily in his role as Mr.Blandings in The Settlers At Sunset series. Rest In Peace Jonathan, you'll always be remembered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan was an old friend of my husband's, we just found out that he died. How did he pass away.

Scarlett said...

He had cancer.