Monday, February 13, 2006

Valentine's Day.
It's like someone with a really perverse sense of humour said, hey, let's make a holiday that will make all the single people feel really alone and really depressed...what a great idea! Thanks a lot...

If you're part of a couple I think it can be really nice. I'm not all about the commercialization of Valentine's day, but you can show your affection for your partner without forking out a load of cash.

However, for those of us not in a relationship, it can be pretty depressing. It might not be so much, if it was not so over the top advertised like everywhere; stores, school, tv....what have you.

But it's like, for me, everywhere I go, not only on Valentine's day but over the week before as well, there are constant reminders that I am going to be alone on this day of couples. The commercials about the chocolate, the Constant jewellry ads, just every where I look or go. It feels unfair to constantly shove these things in everyones faces, it's annoying. Like I said, I'm not downing on people celebrating being together, it's just this over advertised, over commercialized part of it that annoys and depresses me. If I was with someone on Valentines day I would happily celebrate it, but I don't see the need to commercialize it to the extent that it alienates and depresses most of the single population out there.

I think, no wait I KNOW, I'm going to be indulging in a lot of chocolate, a little self pity at least, and sappy, mushy movies that'll make me cry like a big baby tomorrow night.

I don't want to be depressed, and I try not to be, but I know I will be. So, I'll make sure I'm stocked up on chocolate and kleenex for tomorrow, and I'll get through it. *sigh* I'm such a girly girl sometimes.

No comments: