Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Comments, questions, ect. can be posted at my new message board at
http://www.b2g5.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=DramaQueenForever


I just finished watching Gone With The Wind, which has to be the Best Movie Ever! I love it! I don't know how may times I have seen it, but I never get tired of it, and it just seems to get better and better each time I watch it. Like every time I have watched it is at a different stage in my life and each time I'm able to get something more from it. It is such an emotional, wonderful classic movie. It really has some of the best quotes ever in it, plus really wonderful insight, well I think so anyways. People talk about action packed movies, but I think this is one of the original action movies, there is always something exciting going on. I'd be watching and think, ok after this bit I'll go get a drink, oh no I have to see this part...and on and on. This movie was made in the days of the silver screen era, when movies really were movies and all the great starts lived. Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, the truly great stars of film lived back then. There are some truly great movies made in our time, but I think the classic movies, the truly timeless films and stars existed back then. I can't even put into words all the feelings this film evokes in me, sometimes happiness, anger, pity, disbelief at the destruction and loss of life caused by the war, overwhelming sadness, and so many more. I will freely admit that this movie brought me to tears, time and time again, mock me if you will, I'm not ashamed to admit that a movie this powerful has that effect on me. I think if ever I ever stop being able to feel this deeply, be affected this much I will have lost a part of myself, and I hope that day never comes. I know, some of you are sitting there thinking oh katie, you always cry at sad movies, but this movie is one which is truly worthy of the emotion it evokes. I think it is one of the greatest love stories of all times, it keeps me rooting and hoping that eventually Scarlett and Rhett will get together. Now anyone who has seen the movie or read the book knows how it ends, if you haven't, skip over this bit if you want. But I can't help but think that even though the movie ends with Rhett leaving Scarlett, that one day they end up together. They seem destined to be together, and knowing Scarlett, it doesn't seem likely to me that she would simply give up. The story ends with you never knowing whether they do get back together, but I think that is so you can decide for yourself. Not only is it a moving love story and an emotional one at that, but a wonderful way to live history, and certainly from a different perspective then you would normaly see in a text book. It is one of my favourite movies ever, if not perhaps even my favourite, and if you have never seen it, I highly recommend you do. Yes, it's fairly long, almost four hours without commercials, but well worth the time. Not only is it part of history and our culture, but one of historys truly timeless film classics and I belive it will stay that way as long as movies continue to exist.

No comments: