Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I was talking about this with a friend of mine, and she was of a similar opinion. I know a lot of people who are looking to settle down, or who have settled down already. I have friends who are married and have kids already, or who are actively looking for that. And I feel like some people expect that of me...but I'm only 22. I'm 22 going on 23, and I feel like I'm just really starting out on my life now, my professional life anyways. There are so many things I want to do before I get married and have kids; I have career ambitions, huge ones, there are places I want to visit, things I want to do, so many things I want to live and experience before "settling down". Things that I know are unlikely, or at least much more difficult for me to be able to do once I have kids. Don't get me wrong, I do eventually want to get married, and create a home, and have kids, I love kids and family is very important to me, but it's not something I want to do right now. I can see it in my future, but not for awhile. Now, all that being said, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in dating, because I am. I want to date and have fun, have someone interesting to talk to and spend time with. It would be nice to have someone. But that doesn't mean I'm looking for someone who wants marriage, or a intense commited relationship right now. I want to date, and have fun, enjoy myself and the company of interesting people. And if that should develop into something more serious eventually, that's fine. But I'm young, and I feel like I have time before that, time in which I want to cram a lot of life. On top of all that, I'm busy. I feel like I'm in a really good place in my life right now, and I'm really happy with where it's going. But it's busy. Not only do I have school right now, but I volunteer. I am involved with 3 different plays this summer, and I'm job interviewing and actively searching for work. I'm going to teachers college this fall, and I'm working on my acting career. I have braces and allergies. I have family and friends. I have readings to do and rehearsal prep, friend crisis' and family members to worry about. In general, I have a busy life. I realize many people have busy lives, I guess I'm just trying to show that I'm not looking for a relationship with someone that will dominate the bulk of my time, or that will take over my life. I want to date, and have fun, and just enjoy myself. I don't want to get married anytime soon, I just want to enjoy and experience life as I face its challenges right now.

No comments: